It is important to maintain good oral care throughout cancer treatment and beyond.
Chemotherapy drugs can cause sores in the mouth and throat, as well as dryness, irritation or bleeding. Mouth sores can become infected, so practice good oral hygiene and tell your care team about any symptoms.
Cancer Treatment Oral Health Tips
To keep your mouth, gums and throat healthy during cancer treatment, the following is recommended:
- Check your mouth every day for trouble spots
- Brush your teeth with a special soft toothbrush after every meal and at bedtime
- Talk to your doctor about flossing
- Avoid commercial mouthwashes that contain a large amount of salt or alcohol
- Eat soft, moist foods and avoid ones that irritate your mouth